Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Alchemist

Do you know what your purpose is here? Are you doing what you are meant to be doing? Or are you avoiding some greater calling because you fear the adventure. Do you fear leaving the comfortable surroundings to which you have grown accustomed?

The idea in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is not life eternal but a better life because of a better understanding of life in general. The main character is challenged to follow a dream despite disbelief, detours, and doubting. He embarks on an adventure of his own through the African desert toward the Egyptian pyramids. Until now, he has only read about adventures in other books. Through the bizarre twist of unexpected events he chases the idea of a treasure, although the entire process becomes part of his treasure.

This book challenged me in my own adventure toward my treasure and desire for higher education. The Alchemist reminded me of my own detours along my path that I started nearly ten years ago toward my MACSE. It was perfect timing to read yesterday on my road trip to Fort Worth to visit SWBTS and get back on track in my own adventure.



The Alchemist is not a strictly Christian book, but it makes some wonderful references to the Bible and the Koran.

No comments: