Sunday, July 24, 2011

Playing for Pizza is not a winner





I randomly picked up Playing for Pizza on CD during a recent road trip.  I enjoy listening to a good book if I can't actually read.  Reading and driving don't fit well together.  Honestly, the only other book I've read by John Grisham is Skipping Christmas which was pretty good.  Neither Playing for Pizza nor Skipping Christmas are typical for this fiction legal novelist.  Perhaps I will have to try a typical novel by Grisham before moving on completely. 

Playing for Pizza had great potential in the beginning of the novel.  The main character, Rick, is a third string NFL quarterback.  Obviously, he is not a great football player.  In the stereo-typical style of a hero's journey, he is forced on an adventure to find his purpose and passion in the world of football.  He, himself, is a stereo-typical cocky football player that enjoys women and alcohol.  I was excited about his journey to join the NFL in Italy (thus the pizza) and hoped that he would discover the important things in life.  However, the only thing he really discovered was his passion for football again.  I kept hoping for a change in morality, but that didn't happen.  I hope I haven't given too much away with that comment. 

The story had enough action to hold my interest even in the football plays, but the ending was disappointing.  I've heard so many people say that they enjoy John Grisham's novels.  I'm hoping that I just picked the wrong one. 

1 comment:

Mary said...

His regular fiction books are decent. However, I read his first non-fiction book called The Innocent Man and it was hard for me to ignore his anti-death penalty agenda. The story was compelling, but a smart reader can tell his whole point in writing the book was to rail against the death penalty. Of course all his anecdotal evidence was supposed to outrage the reader and inspire them to take action for his cause. No thanks.

I guess I will skip Playing for Pizza - thanks for the heads up.