Saturday, February 15, 2014

See You Later, Grandpa!

Watching someone you love go downhill physically is very hard.  I wasn't even there for much of it.  My sweet parents took care of my grandpa in his final stages.  They moved him from home to home to home as they tried to find the best place to care of his changing needs.  In making the arrangements for the funeral, dad said it would be graveside and closed casket because grandpa has looked better.  Well, that's true, and I prefer to remember him when his belly actually still shook with laughter.  And, according to Heaven is for Real, he will look 20 something when I see him again.  Yes, I will see him again, and that is why we say, "See you later, Grandpa!"

Mom asked me to come up with a few stories that I liked about Grandpa.  So . . . I remember at my wedding when the photographer said, "Show me those pearly whites!"  I started laughing because Grandpa hasn't had any "pearly whites" for a long time.  When my husband and I moved to our small town, I caught Grandpa on two dates, and he pretended not to know me!  He lived about an hour away, but he loved this small town and brought his girl friend here for the best bbq and entertainment.  On random occasions, he would send a news article to us in the mail.  It was usually just something that reminded him of us, and he wanted to share it. I also remember that Grandpa always knew Bible trivia like no one else around.

In honor of Grandpa, check out this site:

http://listverse.com/2010/12/17/10-biblical-facts-that-everyone-gets-wrong/

and a few more from http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/5869627-strange-facts-found-in-the-bible

Noah was 600 years old when he built the ark, and 950 when he died. Genesis 7:6 and 9:29.
Manna tasted just like honey wafers. Exodus 16:31
In ancient Israel, men sealed a deal by exchanging sandals. Ruth 4:7
The iron point alone on Goliath’s spear weighed about fifteen pounds. 1 Samuel 17:7
Joseph was 17 when his brothers sold him to the Ishmaelites. Genesis 37:2
The Gospel of Mark reveals that Jesus had brothers and sisters.
The term ‘scapegoat’ comes from the use of a goat that was to receive the sins of the people and be released into the wilderness. Leviticus 16:10
Moses was four months old when Pharaoh’s daughter found him in a basket. Acts 7:20-21
In Old Testament times people wore a sack-cloth so other people would know they were in mourning. 2 Samuel 3:31
Locusts, Katydids, Crickets and Grasshoppers were considered clean food for the Israelites. Leviticus 11:22

Gp playing with play-dough and Model T. 

Dad and Gp


Mi hermanita, Gp, and me (pregnant with Model C).

Gp and Model C with 90 years between them on that bench. 




1 comment:

BonnieKDredla said...

Best Blog Yet! Love you Allison. See you later. :)