Friday, January 12, 2018

Are you in the ministry?

I was recently at an event where there happened to be an unusual amount of pastors.  I am often around one or two in normal church settings, but this social event happened to have half a dozen or so.  I don't really know.  I didn't actually count.  The even was the wedding of one of my very best life long friends.  She and her husband both work for the Georgia Baptist Convention. 

As I was talking to a lady whom I had just met, she asked me, "Are you in the ministry also?" 

What does that even mean?  I was caught off guard.  I think for most people that means a paid position in a church or religious organization.  Is that the only type of ministry?  I've been pondering this question for several days.  I am a full time teacher in a public school.  Does that mean that I'm not in the ministry?  I have several roles at church, all volunteer.  Does that mean I am in the ministry or am I just a volunteer? 

I want to take my roles seriously.  I want to use my gifts and talents to please God whether I get paid or not.  In Matthew 25, the master trusts a job to three servants while he goes out of town.  It doesn't matter if one gets 10, 5 or just 1.  They all three had a job to do.  They were still trusted by the master to do the job. 

So maybe by normal definitions I am not "in" the ministry.  However, I am part of a ministry with each role that I have as I seek to do it the best that I can to the glory of God the Father. 

No comments: