Sunday, November 11, 2018

Growing into Me

Some people say that they are going to take time to find themselves. Whatever that means.  Some people say that when they get older, they will do whatever it is that is important to life whether that is church or charity.  Some people say that this job right now is just until I figure out what I'm supposed to be doing with the rest of my life.  Why?  Why do people wait?  Why are we always doing what we should be that is important right now?

Our first pigs for 4H. 
Recently, I was talking with a friend as we walked out to the pig barn behind our house.  Whoa.  That is a phrase I never would have dreamed of saying 15 or 20 years ago.  In that moment, I felt totally at ease with life.  I live on a small piece of property where we can hunt, raise some livestock, and garden as much as I want.  My family has room to . . . well, we have room to do whatever we want.  I absolutely love our slice of heaven on earth.
A family that hunts together . . . has food in the freezer!

My students get to do art when they finish a book. 
They must find an inspirational quote to put in their art. 
When I meet new people, the look on their faces when I explain my profession is always priceless.  I am a teacher.  Not just any teacher.  Some might stereotype me as an elementary teacher because I'm short or maybe cute.  Maybe?  It is not good to stereotype, although I understand that stereotypes happen for a reason.  However, I teach secondary level English and History at a discipline campus.  Yes.  I do.  And I love it too.  God gave me this job.  He called me out of my regular high school classroom and sent me packing to a new campus several years ago.  God knows what He is doing.  I never would have dreamed of this job, but I was listening when He called.
Hard at work most days. 
I think I never had to find myself.  I've always been right here.  When I was in college, a wise coworker told me to do God's will for my life right where I am and right now.  I am not waiting until I get older to do what is important.  What I do is important right now.  My family.  My job.  My church responsibilities.  This is what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.  This is my life.  I love what I'm doing, and I'm so grateful for where God has placed me in this moment.

No comments: