Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Teacher Tuesday: Broken Coffee Cup

Teacher Tuesday: Broken Coffee Cup

About ten years ago, a friend brought me a ceramic travel coffee mug.  It was pink and black with
a teal tiara under which read "Kiss my tiara." I have other travel mugs that I like and rotate, but
this was my favorite.


I brought it to school today and had only finished half of my coffee by mid-morning when my
students were switching classes.  At the end of each class, I take a moment with each student to
sign a communication binder and conference about how class went.  Sometimes I get to praise a
student for a job well done. Sometimes I take a personal moment to find out what went wrong and
try to give encouragement.  Sometimes it just doesn't go well when a student doesn't understand
consequences for actions. I'm not necessarily angry with the student when I record that no points
were earned.  Several students will confess it and own it.

Today, this was not the case.

Today, a student didn't agree with the points I recorded.  I was mid-sentence in the binder when he
yanked it from my firm grip which then knocked over my coffee mug.  My mug was broken and sweet
life-giving liquid was wasted on my desk and on student papers ready to be returned.  I sent him to
the office. What happened after that is out of my hands and not really the point.

I was angry.  I was angry at how my cup was broken.  I was angry at the student for his attitude
and lack of remorse.  I could probably be angry for when he will undoubtedly return to my class
and I will have to be polite and helpful.

Then I was angry with myself.  It's just a cup. I have others.  This situation is not totally about me
but about the very sad situation that the student is in that has resulted in his placement at a
discipline campus.  What kind of home life does he have that has nurtured this attitude in him?

Then the Holy Spirit brought to my mind the stories of the Hebrew people.  God loved on them and
yet they still rebelled. And sometimes His anger burned against them.

I've met the parent of this student which does shed light on the situation.  He may not know better
or may be conditioned to act this way.

God's people knew better, and so do I.  What should my response be?

When God did something amazing, His people would stop and build an altar as a reminder.  
If I keep this broken cup, will it be an altar to God to remind me of His love and forgiveness that is
available  to all, to me, to this student? Or am I just holding on to one more thing that I don't really
need? Or will it just remind me of my anger?

Today the tiara coffee mug is sitting on my desk.  Broken. I think I will need to let go of it soon
because I don't really need it or an altar.  Maybe journaling this event will serve as my monument
to remember 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins
and purify us from all unrighteousness."  This forgiveness is extended until our last breath. And
although I need to hold this student accountable, I also need to offer forgiveness. I'm not sure he
will accept it, but that's not my responsibility.


Update: My friends are the most awesome people ever!
Very soon after the incident, a friend was cleaning out her cabinet and found the cup. She
brought it to school for me. It says, "Queen for a day," but we all know that I'm royal every
single day! I love the fun character on it and will enjoy it on my back porch this summer!
Thank you Carol!
And more recently, another long time friend brought me this travel mug with the same saying on
it that my other cup had. She had asked me for a picture of my tiara some time back and then had
it etched into the cup.That's my tiara, y'all! I cried right there on the spot. Thank you Jennifer!

No comments: