Monday, January 13, 2014

The Rattle in my Head

Although I just upgraded my phone, I guess I'm still kind of old school, because I still need to carry around a notebook where I write down ideas.  Otherwise, these things rattling around in my head will never amount to much.  I've heard ideas.  I've been reading books.  I've been listening to music.  I've been teaching.  I'm not sure if that order is appropriate or reflects my priorities, but maybe it does.  I'll probably write this and then rearrange it several times.  Either ways, here are the thoughts rattling around in my head this week.  

I'm addicted to Mandisa this week.  Her songs are inspiring and moving.  I mean her songs inspire my relationship with God.  Her songs move me to get moving.  Her message is awesome and her beat is dancing!  Check her out.



As a teacher, I'm always reading something.  This week, I'm reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  I got a copy because I saw one of my students reading it.  She said it was about a young boy in Germany.  That doesn't sound interesting, but she said it had some heavy concepts in it.  She was right!  This young boy moves next door to a concentration camp because his father is in the military.  I'm about 50 pages into it, and I'm guessing that this young boy will have to learn that what his father is doing is wrong.  I'll let you know when I finish.  Yes, I know it is a movie.  Multiple students have told me, but I haven't seen it.  You decide if the book is worth it.  Let me know.  Should I watch the movie too?


I'm also reading Pigs in the Parlor: The Practical Guide to Deliverance.  It is very interesting reading if you believe in the active spiritual world.  I absolutely do.  However, I'm reading this with a critical mind.  I don't mean that I'm criticizing it.  I mean that I'm thinking critically about everything it says.  Just because something is in print doesn't mean that it is true.  I completely agree with somethings in this book.  Other things I'm considering.  Still other things, I think I could cross off completely.  The book is still worth it.  Awareness of what we can't see is worth it.  The best source for awareness of what we can't see is still the Bible, and at the same time, there have been many wonderful authors since the end of Revelation.  Don't just take my word for it, check it out yourself.



But wait!  There's more!  One too many infomercials on TV lately.

My new principal has also recommended Ted Talks.  I signed up for the emails, and when there is time, I watch one.  Recently, the mayor of Oklahoma City talked about how he got his city off the list of most obese cities in the country.  My daughter tells me I need to get back to my Tae Bo, so I've dusted of the workout videos and already downloaded a Nike Ap on my new phone.  Now to find the time.



After a crazy day with students, Tae Bo feels much better than dancing.  The point is to get moving.  Take your pick and do something!  Check out this video of extreme jump roping too.




Model T is my inspiration for getting moving.

Until next week when I have time to organize my handwritten notes in traditional journals . . .


No comments: