Sunday, February 2, 2014

Every Area of Life in a Salad Toss

Do you ever feel like there are so many things going on in life that you are just a day short each week?  Yes!  That's me!  I'm so glad that my department is giving a diagnostic this week so I can relax for half a second while the kids are taking it.  Of course after that, I have to figure out how they did and how to focus my teaching until the state test.  And then there are my personal kids, my husband, extended family, friends, neighbors, Sunday School class, my personal books, books for school, books for kids, laundry for me, them, and everyone else, and, and, and . . . Toss it altogether and this is my life.

Book Talk
 Today I finished reading The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas.  My students told me it was sad.  They warned me multiple times.  The book was great.  The perspective of a German child during World War II was very interesting.  The end was a complete shock.  I teach literature and can often predict and plan an outcome based on certain formulas.  Not this one.  I had no idea.  This book was completely worth it!  It is easy to read, but the concepts run deep.  Good literature pulls at you emotionally.  This book got to me.

What book are you reading?  Do you have one that I really need to add to my list.  My list is long, but I love a good recommendation!  

40 and Fabulous
I am not there yet.  I'm 38.  Yes, I just shared my age.  I love my age.  At the same time, I know that 40 is coming.  Right now, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been aside from pregnancy.  Right now I'm pretty darn close to that with no excuse of a little person inside to blame for it.  My friend challenged me to no sodas for the three weeks leading up to a Valentine's Event.  I had one tonight.  Just one 8 oz. Coca Cola in a glass bottle.  I did not drink a 12 oz. can.  I think my bigger problem right now is chips.  I can eat an entire can of Pringles without a second thought.  That may be part of the problem.  I need to give things a second thought.  And a third thought.  Online there are several calculators that will tell you an ideal weight for your height and age.  According to the silly thing, I'm between 2 and 23 pounds overweight.  Just a few pounds doesn't sound bad, but when you put 20 pounds on a short person, I'm overweight by too much.  So, no chips and no cokes.  One step at a time.

Thesis
This is a confessional series for sure!  I missed the deadline to graduate last semester.  I've been working on this degree for way too long.  I have enough hours for two MA's I bet.  I need to finish.  What's more is that I think God is ready for me to be done.  I know my husband is ready.  I haven't touched it in over a month, so tonight I'm going to get it out and revisit it to see what I need to do.  I dread it at this point.  Getting the ball rolling is always hard, but here goes.  Again.

No comments: