Sunday, June 15, 2014

Small Town Weekend

Every small town has a weekend to celebrate the special nature of being that small town.  Our weekend was this past weekend.  We have the typical events which include a fair, rodeo, music entertainment, and a parade.

The events begin with the crowing of the Queen and her court.  My Model T wanted to run this year for the Little Miss Hometown.  She got over some fear and shyness to talk to people and raised lots of money.  It wasn't enough to make the court, but I was so very proud of her!


Small town rodeos are so much better than any other big town.  All the seats are good unless you are looking directly into the sun.  Everyone was very excited to see the world class rodeo clown Leon Coffee.  My family saw him last year at another rodeo, and we will go see him again!  He is hilarious and does a great job.  You can read more about him in Texas Monthly.

The whole town turns out for the parade on Saturday morning.  This isn't a huge metro parade.  It is small town style!  I love that I can drive up to our church ten minutes before the parade to pull out the lawn chairs and join our friends to watch our other friends march down the street in the parade.

My students were marching with the ROTC, the band, the cheerleaders, and other organizations.  Local businesses created fun floats.  Church groups entered their floats.  Class reunions from 1949 to this year's graduating class of 2014 created floats.  Maybe not every single one in between, but there were a lot of classes.  Small town classes get back together.  I didn't personally go to my own reunion because it was too big and I hadn't seen most of them for 20 years.  Even floats from local towns close by came to join our parade.

Of course, the best part about a STW is hanging out with friends!  Here are some of my favorites.  (I have tons of favorites.  I don't want anyone to get upset.  I just didn't get pictures with everyone.)


No comments: