Saturday, August 20, 2016

#ATD2016 Inspiration

Last Spring, I read TheHelp.  One of the main characters religiously wrote her prayers down.  Then, as I was looking for something for our church Bible Study group, I read Fervent by Priscilla Shirer.  She emphasizes writing down prayers also.  I knew right then that I needed to return to a practice that I had neglected for too long.  Both pieces are clearly focused on fighting a battle.  Shirer emphasizes Ephesians 6:12 which says, “Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.”

The drama in my life was completely overwhelming me.  I felt like I had no control over it.  The drama was seeking me out and not the other way around.  However, the way I was reacting to it was like plant food to a weed.  I wasn’t necessarily trying to create more drama, but I was not handling it very well to put it mildly.  The drama seemed to be magnified.  Slowly, I began to realize that I was complaining about physical enemies instead of firing back at the spiritual enemy behind the scenes. 
The verses in Ephesians 6 about spiritual warfare became very real once again to me.  For too long, I had been too lazy.  My spiritual life had been collecting dust on the shelf.  My armor was rusting in the corner.  I was out of shape.  Therefore, I began to exercise spiritually as I dove back into the Word of God for inspiration in my life to once again regain my passion for a relationship with God. 
Thus was born the idea of Camo Queens for the ATD2016.  Camouflage has long been a symbol of a soldier.  We must first fight the battle on the spiritual level to prepare us to handle any physical representation that we encounter.


 I know there are physical enemies that each of us fight in different ways.  The young ladies rescued by a local ministry are certainly fighting physical enemies called pimps and johns.  They are fighting physical battles of wounds and disease.  They are also fighting emotional battles of brainwashing, self-doubt, and diminished self-worth.  All of these battles are also being waged spiritually.  The Enemy is behind the scenes of it all.  This local ministry may be able to physically rescue a sparrow, but then the spiritual needs of that lady must be met.  Even the physical rescue cannot be successfully accomplished without prayer.  The recovery process certainly cannot be accomplished without prayer.  I am blessed every year that my friends and I can donate to this ministry.  

No comments: