Sunday, March 9, 2014

Qualifications for Death

A few weeks ago, I told a cousin, "I hope I don't know any more old people about to die.  I'm tired of funerals this month."  One week ago, I got a message that my friend David had only a few days because his liver was failing.  David had been struggling with cancer for five years.  Late Tuesday night, his struggle ended.  Many of us were shocked and angry that someone so young would be taken.  David was not 95.  He was only 43.  

The adjective that was repeated over and over at the funeral was "amazing."  David was an amazing son, brother, husband, dad, and friend.  His wife and children are amazing.  I was moved by the people who spoke about him.  The Austin Fire Chief read "The Dash" by Linda Ellis and said that David's Dash was well spent.  (http://www.linda-ellis.com/the-dash-the-dash-poem-by-linda-ellis-.html)  The dash is the mark between the birth year and death year on the tomb stone.  It is the thing that really matters.  She said that David was a living example of all the things a firefighter should be.  Each person who spoke mentioned David's faith, integrity, humbleness, and self-sacrifice.  David's nephew, Daniel Morgan, said, "I don't know why we only had him for a short time, but I can't see what God sees."  The words are so pointed to reveal that we are all sad to not have David, but we cannot be mad at God because we know He has a bigger plan.  A firefighter nicknamed Spanky spoke about how David not only saved lives by his occupation but also saved souls by being a living testimony of a relationship with God.  Spanky said that David didn't beat you down with Bible verses because it was all about a relationship.  The only beating that David did was on the basketball court when he would win one-on-one against his friend.  "The cancer chipped away at his body," Spanky explained, "but never scratched his faith.  His cancer died, but he lives on in Heaven."  The AFD stood at attention on overpasses and along the road as the APD blocked a major highway on the way to the cemetery.  The show of respect and love was amazing.  David's children will remember their dad as an amazing man.  

What then qualifies us for death?  Who is eligible to die? Are you alive?  Then you are eligible for death.  Romans 3:23 says, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  Romans 6:23 continues to say, "The wages of sin is death."  Thank God that it also says, "But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."  John 10:10 tells us that He came to give us abundant life.  David knew how to live for Christ.  His life verse was Romans 5: 3 - 5 which says, "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us—they help us learn to be patient. And patience develops strength of character in us and helps us trust God more each time we use it until finally our hope and faith are strong and steady. Then, when that happens, we are able to hold our heads high no matter what happens and know that all is well, for we know how dearly God loves us, and we feel this warm love everywhere within us because God has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love."

The fantastic thing about Christ is that he came to give us real life, and we don't have to wait until we are dead to start really living.  My prayer, and David's desire too, is that you know how to have real life now by knowing Jesus.  

Here is a song by Switchfoot that a student shared with me last week.
"Afterlife"
I've tasted fire I'm ready to come alive
I can't just shut it up and fake that I'm alright
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

I'll let it burn the way the sunlight burns my skin
The way I feel inside, the way the day begins
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the other side
I'm ready now, I'm ready now

Cause everyday the world is made
A chance to change But I feel the same
And I wonder
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

I still believe we could live forever
You and I we begin forever now
Forever now
Forever

I still believe in us together
You and I we're here together now
Forever now
Forever now
Or never now

Cause everyday the world is made
A chance to change But I feel the same
And I wonder
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Everyday
A choice is made
Everyday
I choose my fate

And I wonder
Why would I wait till I die to come alive?

Everyday I still feel the same
And I wonder why would I wait till I die to come alive?
I'm ready now
I'm not waiting for the afterlife

I'm ready now
I'm not waiting till the afterlife

Doug and David horsing around at a church retreat.  

David was trying to help Doug break ribbons on a package at Doug's wedding shower.
The number of ribbons broken should equal the number of kids the couple will have.  

My friend David probably being silly in the hall at church during a banquet. 

David's sweet family.  Please keep them in your prayers.  


No comments: